BUYING OR SELLING? Why hire a legal-based title company?
A real estate attorney can protect your interests. The earlier in the process you involve a real estate attorney (preferably prior to contract signing), the more value you gain. One of the greatest benefits of using an attorney is that he or she has an ethical obligation to work on your behalf.
Your real estate attorney is versed in Florida real estate law and will either personally perform or make sure the following procedures are completed in a timely, professional manner:
- Review the contract and ensure that all provisions and contingencies are in your best interest
- Inform you of your legal rights and obligations
- Obtain a title search, evaluate the status of the title and require appropriate legal remedies to clear any defects
- Advise you on what the title policy does not protect against, emphasizing marketability of the title when you sell
- Prepare or review the closing statement and other closing documents, and let you know about seller contingencies that affect your interests
You might think the attorney would cost more than a title agency, but actually they both cost about the same.